Thursday, March 28, 2013

Hospital reply...


The following is the response from the hospital in regards to my letter last week (posted to my blog as "Why are you crying?"). A bit disappointing but not unexpected since the first event happened almost two years ago.

***
Patient Relations:  Thank you very much for this letter. I imagine it was a difficult one to write given the circumstances. It is apparent that you took the time to be reflective about your experience, which you described very well.

It appears that there were some good connections with some people at _____, although they were mired in a very sad outcome. But there was also that very scary experience, and then some times when our staff failed to understand your situation and your emotional state. I completely agree with you that no one should make an assumption about how people should manage or adjust to personal health matters, and I certainly agree that a miscarriage is a significant loss.

My plan is to forward your letter to colleagues in the Emergency department, the Maternity program, and the unit you were hospitalized on, as it will help us understand from a patient’s perspective, the importance for all health care professionals to recognize the intricacies of delivering good and careful caring assistance to our patients. I read a quote once that had resonance for me, and perhaps is applicable here - “The care of a patient is in the caring for the patient”.

As well, I am going to ask the operations leader for the medical unit to remind her staff that call buttons must be easily accessible to be useful. Even though this happened some time ago, I think it’s good for them to be mindful that they should check the placement, and ensure that they can be easily used if the need arises.

If there are any other issues you would like me to forward or pursue, please be in touch with me again.

I wish you the very best. Take care.

Me:   Thank you for your reply. I would like to reiterate I kept using the call button, but no one came. So it is not an issue of accessibility, it is one of responsiveness.


Patient Relations:  Hi again…thanks for the clarification…that is even more important for me to know and pass along.







No comments:

Post a Comment